September 22, 2011

The Struggle of an Artist

Ghosts of the Heart, by Calliope's Room Photography
I read an interesting interview the other day.  One given by Michelle Williams, an actress.  She stated, "It seems to me that as soon as you get good at something, it is a sure sign that it is about to walk out of your life because it ceases to hold your mind and creative energy hostage."

I don't think I've ever heard a better explanation of what I feel is my constant struggle with my art and photography.  Upon completion of any piece of art, whether it be a photograph, a drawing and now more recently, a painting, there is a tugging at my chest.  Something is always missing.  I feel the piece could have been better if only I had or if only I hadn't.  I've always felt this was a flaw of my own doing.  I've felt very strange inside and as though I wasn't worthy of making art.  Some artists might know exactly what I'm describing for they've felt it as well.  However, I honestly think that if the feeling ever goes away, then so will my desire to create.  For that reason I welcome this uneasy and constant tugging at my heart .....  I hope it never goes away.  If only all of life's uneasiness was as acceptable and tolerable.  

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

yup, very well put - I can totally relate to that - its the same with just about any challenge - often once you've accomplished something you were striving to do you're completely over it...I always kinda put it down to ADD, but this explanation seems a whole lot better.
You have a really good way of summing things up btw
Deon