October 13, 2011

Because You're Beautiful


I asked him, "Why did you marry me?"  He pondered for only a short moment and responded, "Because you're beautiful."  He stated this simply and without a second thought.  To some, this would have been a grand compliment but to me it was one of the worst answers I could have hoped for and it hit like a ton of bricks. It opened my eyes.  After a decade of marriage, this was the only answer he could come up with.  That was over 6 years ago and the last question he ever answered that mattered to me.


 Now, I've realized his simple response effected me in a way I never thought was possible.  It's made me more aware of who I am and what I have to offer.  It's made me aware of what others in my life are worth, whether it's been good or bad.  What I see when I meet people, what is important to me about them. What other qualities they possess besides their outer glow, what makes them who they are, what drives them to be a better person both for themselves and hopefully, for me. I will not settle for just anyone.  I know who I'm looking for and it's not just a pretty person.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Your beauty is much more than just skin deep. It is behind each silly and delightful smile, each thoughtful stare and warm embrace. It is in the kindness of your soul and the expression of your heart and mind. It illuminates and inspires the world around you. And it radiates inwards as much as out. You are much more than a pretty face my dear. You are an shining light in the dusk of each fading day. Anybody that cannot see that, does not deserve you.

Unknown said...

Reminds me of a song