July 6, 2012

The Eye of an Artist

Differences; Oil on Canvas, 2012


The phrase goes, "A wise man once told me...." but in this case the only thing wise this man ever said to me was that, "An artist is the closest thing to God because he can create something from nothing just like God."  Do I believe him? Well, let's keep the topic of religion and what I believe to another post.  For now, let me just say, that art has a way of calming the beast within.  


Art, in one form or fashion, has been a part of my soul this entire life.  Beginning with a father who paints landscapes and a mother who at one time drew and sketched.  The life of an artist was graciously instilled in me....and it has come easily.  For as long as I can remember I saw things in a different light - literally.  Everything in front of me had an imaginary frame around it, had several shades of shadow and movement stood still for a very brief moment, just long enough for me to envision a photograph.  Even now I notice the smallest of wonders from the perfect dandelion swooped up by a gust of wind to the sun shining through the tallest palm tree creating a star burst of light.  I find myself constantly scanning...scanning....scanning....... everything in sight for the next perfect photo. Now....


......I've moved into painting.  This hasn't been as easy.  There's no "undo" button in painting.  When the brush hits that canvas you better have an idea of the end result before you even begin.  Such a frustrating art.  Trial and error can make a man go mad.  However, the reward at the end is so much more amazing. 


I was once asked if I had a vice.  The only vice I can come up with is the need to always have art in my life.  I can't possibly think of a day going by without some form of art crossing my mind and the very deep desire to create.  My life just wouldn't be worth living if I couldn't create something from nothing.  

No comments: